Safe to store data in cloud
Statistics increase in the total amount of information. Creating a storage cloud. Key features of its use. Consideration of the main advantages and disadvantages. Characteristic encryption and data protection. Recommendations file protection in the cloud.
|Рубрика||Программирование, компьютеры и кибернетика|
|Размер файла||70,2 K|
Отправить свою хорошую работу в базу знаний просто. Используйте форму, расположенную ниже
Студенты, аспиранты, молодые ученые, использующие базу знаний в своей учебе и работе, будут вам очень благодарны.
Размещено на http://www.allbest.ru/
Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan
International University of Information Technologies
Department of Languages
IS IT SAFE TO STORE DATA IN THE CLOUD STORAGE?
Group: IS 126-R
Advisor: Master of Arts, Senior Lecturer: Nurmetov D.
This study explores the pros and cons of using so popular information resource as cloud storage.
The purpose of research to find out how it safe to store data in the cloud storage? Whether the hackers have access to our files?
The hypothesis is that the storage is not safe on these resources.
To investigate this question was conducted among people of different age groups and different gender groups. The survey consisted of 10 questions of different types.
According to the results of my research, this hypothesis was partially disproved.
The results showed that the absolute majority of respondents believe in the security of cloud storage, also would like to note that during the research revealed that the positive aspects of using prevail on negative aspects of using Cloud storage.
information cloud encryption file
Whether it is really safe to store data in cloud storage?
As we know now mankind endures rapid growth of amount of information. And the 21st century is information technologies.
The group of researchers under the leadership of Martin Gilbert from University of South California in the USA claims that the Volume of digital information increases is tenfold each 5 years! According to scientists, the total amount of information made by people, being written down on compact disks, can form a pile height more orbit of the Moon.
Recently the director of one of the research laboratories of the Intel company professor Jim Held made the forecast according to which mankind waits for deficiency of recorders for storage of information. To solve this problem, engineers thought up such thing as cloud storage.
As we know that model of cloudy systems of data storage where data are stored and processed in a so-called cloud. Besides, I would like to note that fact that recently the role of these technologies grows in our life.
As we know that such use of type gives access to files from any point of Earth. Each client receives a personal login and the password to get access to files in "cloud". It would be desirable to concentrate that we use a cloud, even without thinking of safety.
Thus, the analysis of the current situation, I led me to a hypothesis that use cloudy spaces are unsafe. The above-mentioned hypothesis was checked by use of a method of simple check. I chose this subject because I would like to learn, whether it is possible criminals steal our data. Data were collected by random sampling.
For carrying out a research survey among 19 casual people was conducted.
Survey questions included 10 different questions. Types of questions were different such as yes/no questions, multiple choice questions, scale questions, open-ended questions.
The paper is divided into 4 parts:
Introductory part states the problem, Abstract which is a synopsis of the whole paper, aim and objectives; it contains the paper's structure and the rationale, the research topic, hypothesis, method.
Literature review, summarizing the relevant information.
Practical part describes the survey conducted, comprising Materials and Procedures, Results of research in the table, data interpretation and Discussion.
The conclusion part containing a summary of the research findings and contribution, prospects, and limitations, recommendations based on our findings.
Which references are actually cited in the paper.
The questionnaire used in survey, figures and tables is available in Appendices part.
The pros and Cons of using Cloud Storage
The positive sides of the using Cloud Storage
Any new technology is primarily designed to improve or at least simplify the life of a person, in particular a PC user. Cloud computing - is no exception. We are considering cloud computing technology provides users with a number of advantages.
The main advantages of cloud technologies as compared to physical servers:
*You can access your files from any computer, whether it's a desktop, PDA, gaming console with Internet access or tablet. Web applications run on virtually any hardware-based, on any operating system. By the way, this is also part of the concept of cloud services. Regardless of your physical location, you will have access to your data. Thus, your information will be always with you.
Year-round trouble-free stable operation of the Company.
* Improved safety due to the consolidation of computing resources, minimizing the "human factor".
*Data encryption, cryptography and data protection.
* Improve the quality of IT services with fewer highly qualified specialists.
* The lack of initial capital outlay or significant reduction.
* A tenfold reduction in time spent on implementation and effective redistribution of resources.
Operational selective capacity growth.
* Availability. Access to information stored in the cloud, can get anyone who has a computer, a tablet, any mobile device connected to the Internet.
You do not need a powerful computer performance as all intensive programs are running on the provider's server.
* You do not need to worry about data backup. Cloud providers do the job for you. It's no secret that the data on the hard disk, you can lose a failed software or hardware. If a disaster happens, you should not worry - your data will be available, as all the important information is not stored on your hard disk, and disk drive of the server.
* You can access your files from any computer, whether it's a desktop, PDA, gaming console with Internet access or tablet. Web applications run on virtually any hardware-based, on any operating system. By the way, this is also part of the concept of cloud services. Regardless of your physical location, you will have access to your data. Thus, your information will be always with you.
* You get the opportunity to provide your data sharing to other users. This feature becomes relevant in the case of a joint work on any project. Any participant of the project can open the file, perform the work, and then save your changes. You get to use already modified file. Likewise, you can grant access to your photos or videos.
* Cloud storage provides users with immediate access to a broad range of resources and applications hosted in the infrastructure of another organization via a web service interface. (O'Brien, J. A. & Marakas, G. M., 2011).
* If you solely dependent on the network connection for your storage functions, be prepared for heartbreak, because network failures are very natural. Your cloud service must allow offline access to your files and these files are downloaded to a local storage whenever the device is connected to the network. Even if you don't have a network connection, you can access the locally stored files synced with the cloud server. (Paul Niemeyer, 2013)
The negative sides of using Cloud Storage
The main criticism of the fact that the use of virtual software information automatically falls into the hands of the developer of the software. So says Richard Stallman (2014), founder of the free software movement.
* Experts point to the problem of uncontrolled data: information left by the user will be stored for years without his knowledge or he will not be able to change some part of it. For example, on Google properties the user is not able to remove unused services to them, and even individual groups of data.
* Depending on the Internet connection. First of all, it should be noted that you are unlikely to be able to comfortably use the web-based applications, if the speed of your Internet connection is lower than 256 Kbps. Strictly speaking, the use of cloud services at low speed internet connection is possible, but the procedure for loading and saving your files may take a long time. If your Internet service provider was a serious failure, deprived of your connectivity, you cannot use cloud services.
* The dependence of the user on the conditions of the provider. In some cases that free begins with the passage of time can magnetized. Migration to other cloud services may be difficult due to the restrictions imposed.
* The security of your data depends on the quality of the provider of cloud services. In case of improper performance of the duties provider of your confidential data will be made public, and it cannot be included in your plans.
* Failure to use previous versions of the software. The fact that some users are accustomed to a particular version and sometimes negative perception of migration to a newer version. In the case of software installed on the hard drive of your computer, you may decide to update your program or remain on the previous version. In the case of cloud service you will be forced to use the version you want to give the providers.
* Risk of hacker attacks on the server. You cannot just pick up and shut down the server, as opposed to the user's computer. In this case, it all depends on the security policy provider of cloud services.
* Dependency: Researchers have pointed that Among certain limitations of cloud computing is users' dependency on the provider.
* Migration Problems: In case the user has to switch to some other provider, there are migration issues. According to Anna Watson (2011). It's not easy to transfer huge data from one provider to the other.
Despite this, the majority of experts are of the opinion that the benefits of this technology outweigh its disadvantages.
A sample questionnaire containing 10 questions was given to students of the age from 15 to 25.
The questionnaire included questions about age, gender.
Used in the survey were different type's questions to generate qualitative and quantitative data from about 20 respondents: all of his students.
Types of questions were different such as yes/no questions, multiple choice questions, scale questions, open-ended questions.
The survey respondents were selected random sampling respondents were divided into 2 categories at the of 15-20 and people in the age 20-25.
Based on survey of goal, the questionnaire items cover types of storage is usually used, what type of data people prefer to store, opinion of respondents about cloud storage.
The findings were processed statistically and are represented graphically in the diagrams below.
In my study involved 19 people, 10 girls and 9 boys are 8 people are aged in the range 15-19, and 11 people, respectively, between 20-25.
The question, what cloud service do you use? Respondents give different answers; among them is part of the answer, such as Dropbox, Yandex disk, Icloud, cloud.mail.ru
Diagram 1 shows that the 84, 21% of people know what is cloud storage.
Concerning the type of data which store in cloud 82,35 percent of respondents answered: documents, 53 percent of respondents used cloud storage to store photo, 35, 29 percent of people answered that, they store music in the cloud. 11, 76 percent answered video.
It was found that 44,44 percent of the respondents were not in such a situation that the storage overflowed and 11,11 percent of respondents said that, they are trying to delete or sort the data in the cloud if it was full, 33,33 percent of the respondents reported that chose another service in such a situation. 11,11 percent of the respondents are willing to pay money for the extra space in the repository.
The results show that 41, 18 percent of the respondents put Rated 5 out of 5 for the operation of your storage. 29.41 percent of the respondents put the estimate 4, and 23.53 percent of the respondents evaluated on a score of 3 out of 5.
It is noteworthy that none of the respondents did not put a score of 1 out of 5.
The analysis and simulation indicate that 50 percent of people believe that store data in the cloud is safe. 27.78 percent of people believe that storing data in the cloud is a dangerous business.
The remaining respondents were undecided on this issue.
This study has brought that important quality when choosing a supplier is that how much space it can provide (47.06%) and usability (70.59%).
The final question of my research; Do you are afraid that your data can be stolen? 8 out of 19 said they fear that, 2 out of 19 people said that not to be afraid that their data can be stolen as fully trust your ISP, 9 out of 19 people have answered that they are not afraid because their data does not pose a serious danger.
Based on the above data it can be concluded that the cloud storage a necessary tool almost for every person of young generation.
The results show that the rather, most of the respondents know what cloud storage. This finding was unexpected and suggests that storing files in the cloud is safely.
There are several possible explanations for this result. For example, in my research participated only students.
It is possible to hypothesize that cloud technology will be growing and the market for cloud computing will occupy a substantial portion of the total market of Kazakhstan IT-services.
To conclude, the Cloud storage is a space where you can store files and do not think about security and it is a very effective tool, which provides many opportunities for an efficient work, which together carry various information and services.
Every coin has 2 sides, cloud storage also have a negative side. I want to focus on it's a positive side of using cloud storage to overweigh its negative sides.
The hypothesis of the research was disproved, because the results show that the positive aspects of Cloud Storage are dominating.
Over time, despite the negative aspects of life without these technologies becomes more and more impossible.
However, negative aspects can't be ignored.
There are some recommendations of protecting files in the cloud:
1. Using the password for the files.
2. Using the encryption methods of data
3. Choosing the reliable sources.
I can also offer prospects for future research: analyze the connection between negative aspects of the cloud storage and popularity.
The significance of these aspects can lead to decreasing of using Cloud Storage popularity.
1. Watson, A (2011) Positive and Negative Aspects of Cloud Computing System. Retrived November 26, 2014, from
3. Neimeyer.P (2014) Get Ready For The Next Gen Cloud Storage.
4. Retrived November 26, 2014 from
6. Glazunov,S (2013) Business in the clouds. How useful cloud technology for the entrepreneur
7. Retrived November 26, 2014 from
9. Michael F. Lewis (2013) .Move over Al Gore, Kurt Vonnegut invented the internet .Journal Wordpress .
10. S. Rhea, C. Wells, P. Eaton, D. Geels, B. Zhao, H. Weatherspoon, & J. Kubiatowicz (2001), Maintenance-Free Global Data Storage. IEEE Internet Computing , 5 (5), 40-49.
11. Vernik, Gil (2013), Data On-boarding in Federated Storage Clouds." Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Cloud Computing. IEEE Computer Society,
12. Kemme, Bettina (2013), Consistency in Distributed Systems .Dagstuhl Seminar 13081.
13. Kusnetzky .D (2010) Cloud Storage Gateway.
14. Ochs, R. (2012). The New Decision-Makers. CRN
15. O'Brien, J. A. & Marakas, G. M. (2011). Computer Software. Management Information Systems 10th ed. 145. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
16. Wu C F, Wang Y S, Liu G N, Amies, A, (2012) Create solutions on IBM SmartCloud Enterprise: Transfer image assets between different accounts IBM developerWorks.
17. Mello, John P. (2013) National Security Agency Pressed to Reveal Details on Google Deal. PCWorld.
18. Spring, Tom. (2013) Google Ditches Microsoft's Windows over Security Issues, Report Claims. PCWorld.
Размещено на Allbest.ru
Review of development of cloud computing. Service models of cloud computing. Deployment models of cloud computing. Technology of virtualization. Algorithm of "Cloudy". Safety and labor protection. Justification of the cost-effectiveness of the project.
дипломная работа [2,3 M], добавлен 13.05.2015
A database is a store where information is kept in an organized way. Data structures consist of pointers, strings, arrays, stacks, static and dynamic data structures. A list is a set of data items stored in some order. Methods of construction of a trees.
топик [19,0 K], добавлен 29.06.2009
Web Forum - class of applications for communication site visitors. Planning of such database that to contain all information about an user is the name, last name, address, number of reports and their content, information about an user and his friends.
отчет по практике [1,4 M], добавлен 19.03.2014
Data mining, developmental history of data mining and knowledge discovery. Technological elements and methods of data mining. Steps in knowledge discovery. Change and deviation detection. Related disciplines, information retrieval and text extraction.
доклад [25,3 K], добавлен 16.06.2012
Проблемы оценки клиентской базы. Big Data, направления использования. Организация корпоративного хранилища данных. ER-модель для сайта оценки книг на РСУБД DB2. Облачные технологии, поддерживающие рост рынка Big Data в информационных технологиях.
презентация [3,9 M], добавлен 17.02.2016